The Bert Sheppard Stockmen's Foundation
|New home of the Stockmen's Memorial Foundation Library
Library And Archives
The Bert Sheppard Stockmen's Foundation Library And Archives is located in the Cochrane RancheHouse, 1/2 km north of Cochrane, Alberta on Highway 22. Click to view map. The Library is open Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. The Library will be closed Saturday through Monday and all satutory holidays.
This Reference Library was established in 1980 by the Stockmen's Memorial Foundation as a unique Non-Lending Library. You are encouraged to come and browse in our comfortable surroundings, to research, or simply enjoy looking through the materials.
You can find:
- over 13,000 books related to western culture from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia, including a complete collection of Brand Books for Alberta from 1888 to present as well as some from the other provinces.
- 6,000 magazines on such areas as Ranching, Rodeo, Horsemanship, Veterinary Science, History, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and many more...
- Videos: "Heritage Voices" This is a collection of over one hundred early pioneers who were videotaped by Stockmen's volunteers. Such pioneers as Nettie Ware and Ed McKinnon are but two representatives of this once-in-a-lifetime collection.
- Photo File: this consists of Rodeo and Western related topics.
- 100 audio tape cassettes of interviews and tales of the West as told to the noted author Sherm Ewing. The entire transcripts of these tapes have been deposited in the library.
- Cancelled brand files. This Project came to the Stockmen's Memorial Foundation in the late 1980s - It involves numerous boxes containing the original files of brand requests from 1888 to 1980s. NOTE: only cancelled brands are in this collection. This information is especially of interest to those tracing family history.
- As well as sheet music, maps, pamphlets, and rodeo programs.
IMPORTANT: This information cannot be faxed or sent by E-mail.
A fee is charged for services and photocopies.
For additional information or to book research time call and ask for the librarian at the Bert Sheppard Stockmen's Foundation Library and Archives.
Stockmen's Memorial Foundation
101 RancheHouse Rd
Phone: (403) 932-3782